Interknit Pty LtdWe Make Jumpers
Experienced Commercial Sewing Machinist & Overlocker
We are a Ballarat based Australian clothing manufacturer registered with Ethical Clothing Australia and have a small friendly team. We run a busy shopfront; factory and website with a focus on ethical manufacturing. Our factory location is not easily accessible by public transport during all operating hours.
The sewing machinist & overlocker reports to the leading hand and is responsible for fast and accurate sewing of garments.
Our company has less than fifteen staff so the ability to maintain individual productivity and be flexible with working hours and daily tasks is essential. There will be role sharing for this position so ownership of the complete area is not necessary, however a pride in growing the role and a strong work ethic will be rewarded. You will get to work in a happy friendly team environment where your input is encouraged and valued and you’ll have access to great staff discounts.
You will be covered by the Textile, Clothing, Footwear and Associated Award and we are offering the classification skill level commensurate with experience to the successful applicant. The position will be casual and a trial period of three months will apply. Depending on experience and the requirements of the applicant, a permanent contract may be negotiated.
Interviews begin immediately; applicants with immediate availability are preferred.
Starting Date for the successful applicant can be flexible depending on the applicant’s requirements.
· Set up and operate an industrial or commercial sewing machine;
· Work with industrial and commercial sewing machines in high volume production;
· Plain sewing, overlocking, bar tacking as required;
· Install bobbins, needles and guide plates to accommodate different fabric types and create assorted stitching patterns;
· Follow verbal directions of the leading hand and other key team members;
· Attention to detail including trimming all threads/pulling in ends/keeping jobs together;
· Some flexibility to learn and cover other production roles in the event of annual leave/long service leave will be required;
To perform well in this role the following is absolutely required:
To be successful in this position, you must have the following skills, experience and attributes:
· 3+ years’ experience in operation of industrial sewing machines; overlocker, plain sewing;
· Experience working in a similar role within a commercial workroom;
· Takes pride in the quality of their work;
· Strong verbal communication skills, including following directions;
· Fast, smart and enthusiastic learner;
· Knowledgeable about WHS policies and procedures;
· Thorough understanding of workplace Bullying and Harassment policies and procedures;
· Currently living in or prepared to relocate to the Ballarat region;
· Experience in other commercial garment manufacturing processes;
· Recent industry experience in the advertised field;
· Experience with the use of the above machines with knit fabrics;
If you think this sounds like you please apply and submit the following either in person during shop hours or to [email protected]:
1. A one page summary explaining which role you are applying for & why you think you would succeed in this role;
2. Outline your availability across the work week, Monday to Friday, days and times;
3. Your up-to-date Resume or summary of your experience including your contact details.
NO HOME SEWERS TO APPLY – THIS ROLE NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED FROM OUR FACTORY
We are a small team and do not have time to field phone or in-person inquiries for this position; please limit your inquiries to email only.